What is Google Trader?
Trader is a service that allows people to buy and sell goods and services on their computer using the web and on their phones. Use it to buy and sell electronics, crops, tools, cars, properties, or anything else that you need or have. http://www.google.co.ke/africa/trader/home?gl=KE
How can I access Trader?
You can access Trader in two ways
- From your computer or mobile phone by visiting the Trader Home Page
- Via SMS. Text START to 4040 to get started.
How much does it cost to post an item on Trader?
Trader is free! However, your carrier may charge you for the SMSes that you send.
Do I need a Google account to use Trader?
You do not need a Google account to search for items in Trader. If you are selling items via your computer, you will need a Google account. Google accounts are free and easy to set up, all you will need is an email address. Click here to set up your own account.
You do not need a Google account to buy or sell using SMS.
How do I look for an items to buy?
You can search for items on your computer, on your phone and via SMS. You can search for items in two ways. If you know the broad category of item that you are interested in, for example, electronics, then simply click on the Electronics link to see all items posted under that category. You can also enter in words in the search box at the top of the screen and press Search Trader to search for items that contain those words.
If you are only interested in items near you, enter the name of your city or town as part of the query. You can also search for items by sending a text message to the number 4040. This message must start with the word BUY, followed by the words that you would like to search for. For example, to search for electronics, you would send BUY electronics to 4040. To search for used Toyotas for sale, you might send BUY toyota to 4040.
If you are only interested in items near you, enter the name of your city or town as part of the query. For example, BUY toyota Nairobi will only display items that are available within 50 kilometers of Nairobi.
How do I post an item to sell?
To sell an item on the Trader web site:
- Click on the link Sell an item on the Trader homepage
- If you have not logged in, Trader will ask you to do so. If you don’t already have a Google account, click on the Create an account now link. Once you have logged in, you will proceed to the Trader page where you can enter information about your item.
- Enter the most important information about your listing in the box labeled Description, price and contact. What you write in this box will be available to users searching both on the web and via SMS. Don’t forget to include a way to contact you, like a phone number or email address, and the city or town where you are located.
- Choose a category from the dropdown labeled Category.
- Add additional content to the Additional details section. This will only be visible to those looking at your listing from the web.
- Upload photos of the item.
- After you’ve entered and reviewed your item’s information, click Save. Within a few hours, your item will be visible.
To sell items via SMS, you must first register with Trader. To do this send the word REGISTER to 4040. Once registered you can sell as many items as you like. Post your item for sale by sending a message describing the item to the number 4040. This message must start with the word SELL, followed by a description of the item, the price, your location, and a way to contact you. If you don’t include a phone number or email address in your post, Trader will automatically add this information to the end of your post. For example, you might send SELL Honda Civic 50,000 miles 1M/= Nairobi call Terry 0712-345-678 to 4040.
How do I see the items that I have available to sell?
To see the items that you are currently listing as available for sale on the Trader web site:
- Click on the link My items for sale on the Trader homepage.
- If you have not logged in, Trader will ask you to do so. If you don’t already have a Google account, click on the Create an account now link. Once you have logged in, you will proceed to the Trader page where you can see your items.
To see the items that you have for sale on your phone, SMS the word LIST to 4040.
How do I delete an item that I have made available to sell?
To delete an item that you have previously listed for sale on the Trader web site, first go to your list of items. Then click on the Delete link. You will be given a chance to undo your deletion if you deleted something by accident.
To delete an item via SMS, text the word LIST to 4040 to receive a list of your items for sale. Note the number in front of the item that you wish to delete, then SMS the word DELETE followed by that number. For example, to delete the first item in your list, you would send DELETE 1 to 4040.
How do I change an item that I have made available to sell?
To change the description of an item that you have previously listed for sale on the Trader web site, first go to your list of items. Then click on the Edit link. If you change your mind, you can always click on the Cancel button, which will keep the item as it is.
There is no way to edit an item using SMS. If you need to change an item, you need to delete it and then post it again.
Policy requirements and legal inquiries
What can I post to Trader?
You can post almost anything as long as your items are consistent with our Program Policies. Your post must comply with all applicable laws and regulations of your target country.
How to report a policy violation
When you find an item that is violating Trader Program Policies please click on the Report bad item link at the bottom of the listing.
To report a bad item via SMS, text the word REPORT, followed by the letter in front of the item, to 4040. For example, if you wanted to report the first item from my search results as inappropriate, you would SMS REPORT A to 4040.
In which countries is Trader available?
Which languages does Trader support?
Our service is only available in English, and all posts must be in English. We look forward to offering more language options in the future.